- Relative Clause
A relative clause is a kind of subordinate clause one of whose arguments shares a referent with a main clause element on which the subordinate clause is grammatically dependent.
Most typically, a relative clause modifies a noun or noun phrase , and uses some grammatical device to indicate that one of the arguments within the relative clause has the same referent as that noun or noun phrase. For example, in the sentence I met a man who wasn't there, the subordinate clause who wasn't there is a relative clause, since it modifies the noun man, and uses the pronoun who to indicate that the same "man" is referred to within the subordinate clause (in this case, as its subject ).
In many European languages, relative clauses are introduced by a special class of pronouns called relative pronouns such as who in the example just given. In other languages, relative clauses may be marked in different ways: they may be introduced by a special class of conjunctions called relayivizer; the main verb of the relative clause may appear in a special morphological variant; or a relative clause may be indicated by word order alone. In some languages, more than one of these mechanisms may be possible.
- Exercise 37. Relative Clauses
1. The last record which produced by this company became a gold record.
2. Checking accounts that require a minimum balance are very common now.
3. The professor whose you spoke yesterday is not here today.
4. John whose grades are the highest in the school, has received a scholarship.
5. Felipe bought a camera that has three lenses.
6. Frank are who were nominated for the office of treasurer.
7. The doctor is with a patient whose leg was broken in an accident.
8. Jane is the woman who is going to China next year.
9. Janet wants a typewriter whose self-corrects.
10. This book that I found last week, contains some useful information.
11. Mr. Bryant whose team has lost the game, looks very sad.
12. James wrote an article whose indicated that he diskiled the president.
13. The director of the program whose graduated from Havard University, is planning to retire next year.
14. This is the book that I Have been looking for all year.
15. William whose brother is a lawyer, want to become a judge.
- Exercise 38. Relative Clause Reduction
1. George is the man chosen to represent the committee at the convention.
2. All of the money accepted has already been released.
3. The papers on the table belong to Patricia.
4. The man brought to the police station confessed to the crime.
5. The girl drinking coffe, is Mary Allen.
6. John’s wife, a professor, has written several papers on this subject.
7. The man talking to the policeman, is my uncle.
8. The book on the top shelf, is the one that I need.
9. The number of students have been counted is quite high.
10. Leo Evans, a doctor, eats in this restaurant every day.
sumber : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_clause